Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bed time woo's

Dealing with bed time is a nightmare. Every single night since the day he was born.


Just getting JJ to go to bed, lay down, relax.. its a big deal.  The first problem is the time he goes to bed. He wants it to be 9pm on week nights and 10 on weekends.  We have fought for years about time, we always win, but the fighting is stressful.  


This past year I came up with the idea of changing all the clocks in the house back an hour. I did this because if I say its bed time and the clock says 9pm its really only 8pm and then he can get a half decent nights sleep.  Its worked pretty well so far, except when he asks me what time it is and I look at my watch.. then I forget and tell him the real time. UGH!


The good news is he has no real concept of time, so half hour later I can correct myself and he doesn't argue with me.


Of course anyone who came into the house when I first did the "clock change" I had to whisper and tell them not to pay attention to the time on our clocks..lol


I mentioned to the dr. the last time I had JJ in, that getting him to settle down at night was a horrible experience. He suggested that we purchase some melatonin at our health food store. Its a natural substance found in the brain normally but in children with ASD its found that they have lower than normal amounts of melatonin.  Its a 3mg pill that he could swallow or let it melt in his mouth with no taste to put him off.  


I have to say, I have fought not to have JJ on any meds. Sometimes you just have to listen to the experts.  It has made a big difference for us and for JJ. That tiny little pill has brought nightmare bed time to a much more deal-able level.  It lets his hyper mind calm down and about 30 minutes after he takes it, he is ready to go to sleep. Less arguing, fighting and meltdowns.


Sometimes it has to be used for a long period of time, sometimes the melatonin can just help regulate sleep time and can be stopped after 6mths. I am hoping the later works, but for now he is getting the rest he and his brain needs to function in school and deal with life in general.

No comments: